Wednesday, September 10, 2008

*twitch twitch*

So, if you recall the photo I posted a while ago of some red/orange/pink spinning I'd done...Well, I filled that bobbin up, and as I got my 4 new (unfinished, grumble, didn't think of that) bobbins, and the singles are very very scrawny, I decided to navajo ply 'em.

Thin. And evidently not spun tightly enough for easy navajo plying. *ply ply BREAK CUSS ply ply* repeat. I must say, though, that the finished product looks far nicer than I'd expected. I'd not played with navajo plying slow colour changes before, and it's turning out quite lovely, even if it aggravates the piss out of me.

Did I mention thin? This will take me just short of forever for a single bobbin, and I've still got a huge amount of roving to spin. I have a feeling that'll be more of a long-term project. It's still spinning up to something like a sport weight, possibly a bit heavier, but not much. It won't be soft enough to wear against my skin, but I think I should have enough for a cardigan or something of that variety.

Totally unrelated to spinning, but still involving yarn: I went to Michaels today because I had to buy some of this. I saw it a couple of weeks ago and kept thinking about it, so clearly had to possess some. I plan on making a really obnoxious baby hat out of the green and white for the nephew who will arrive right around Halloween. :)

Edit: I'm making the pirate hat in green and white. (In a newborn size, as yanked from another pattern, therefore there will only be three skulls.) Both of his parents already have pirate skullcaps, he clearly needs one!

1 comment:

RattleFox said...

How is the yarn for softness, and how brightly does it glow? I do love glowy things! Navajo plying color-changing singles is the best :). You're right it does take a bit more twist in the singles to handle it. Man, I bet you're better at N.P. than I am now.